Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Monday, April 30, 2012

Christiaan's testimony of forgiveness


Hello Mom :)
So this week was just another week over here in Douala. Nothing to crazy happened. This past week we celebrated the birthdays of 3 elders… Elder Thompson, Hancock, and Tingey. Elder Thompson is in the same apartment as me, so we decided to go out and get some chwarmas. One of his investigators has the same birthday as him so we invited her to come and eat with us. She is in her upper 30’s and her name is Aurélie. I have no clue how to spell her name. Anywho, we had the most bizarre lunch table conversation I have ever had in my entire life. She sat down and before we ordered anything she insisted that she share her “birthing” story. So, according to her, her mother was in Yaoundé and she was crossing a carrefour (an intersection), and at this time she was 9 months pregnant with Aurélie. While she was crossing the carrefour her water broke and she gave birth right there in the carrefour. Aurélie stopped there in her story and shared with us that in her african tradition, “if you are born in a carrefour you will have a life full of luck.” Hmmm, interesting (Picture me saying that the same way dad says it). She then went on to tell us that she drank a lot of milk from her mothers breasts and that is why she is so strong. She then looked at me and asked, “Elder Schmid, did you drink milk from you mothers breasts?” I was kinda caught off guard by the weird question and didn’t really know what to say… I then looked at her in the eyes and with all the seriousness I could muster gave her a firm and solid, “oui.” It was so hard not to laugh. She then went on to ask Elder Spens, Thompson and Nash the same question. We all admit and agree that that was one of the weirdest conversations we have ever had. The chwarmas were awesome though!

I know that more happened throughout the week but I would like to focus on something more important. I feel prompted that I need to write about this right now. What I am about to write is coming strait out of my head, through my fingers, and into this email. I know that my grammar and english are not perfect. But the Spirit is... and I hope that you can all feel the Spirit bear testimony of what I am about to tell you.

This past weekend I had the opportunity to listen to our beloved prophet, apostles, and leaders speak in General Conference. We finally found time in our crazy schedules to get everyone together in Douala and listen to the prophets voice. The four of us elders were upstairs in the church because we all wanted to watch it in english and I am so glad that I did. There were so many talks that touched my heart and helped me grow spiritually but the one I think touched me the most was the powerful and inspired talk by President Uchtdorf. My testimony of forgiveness has grown so much over the last 10 months of my life. I know that it is something that is real and something that is necessary. Sometimes I feel inadequate when talking to others about forgiveness because after all, I am only 19 years old, I haven't lived a long life and because of that I still don't have the wisdom and knowledge that comes from a life of learning and growing. BUT I do know what the scriptures say and I want to talk about some of those scriptures. I loved that President Uchtdorf used D&C 64:9-11. That scripture has helped me out so much. Problems, bad actions, scandals, and so many other 'trials' will come our way as we are traveling throughout life. That is how God works! We read in D&C 95:1-2 that heavenly chastisements are necessary in the plan of God. I am a firm believer that those 'chastisements' are actions that befall us because of the free choice of others. So in life the question isn't 'How can I avoid being chastised by God?' but instead 'How can I handle myself when I receive these chastisements and what does the Lord want me to learn?' That's reality, and it bugs me so much when people here complain day after day and ask me why, why, why?! If we are truly Christian and if we truly believe in the bible we would never ask ourselves that. We know exactly why... because God wants us to grow. I love how President Eyring put it... God wants us to be that much more polished before we return home. The question, "How can I handle myself?" has helped me out a lot. Out here on my mission I received, by far, my biggest trial and it was so difficult. But thankfully before that day my mentality changed... so I wasn't asking myself "why, why, why?" but instead I was looking at my future and seeing how I can take this trial and make the best of it so that I can make my future even better. At that moment, I was asking the Lord for so much forgiveness... I realized that change was necessary in my life and I bit the lemon and took on responsibility. While I was in the process of asking God for so much forgiveness, the Lord threw at me another trial. It wasn't a physical trial... but simply a test to see if I could extend forgiveness. A test to see if I could hand out the exact thing I was pleading for. I am proud to say that the moment that 'trial' came into my life I knew exactly what I was going to do... forgive! That little choice has had one of the greatest impacts on my testimony. I thought it was funny that God would work like that, and I am so glad He did. So where am I going with this? It all goes back to D&C 64:9-11. If we are real with ourselves and realize our worthlessness we should all be on our knees every day pleading for forgiveness so that mercy can be handed to us and we can return and live with our Heavenly Parents and with our families for eternity. A necessary requirement for forgiveness is found in verse 10 of the 64th section. It is REQUIRED that we forgive others. It does not say, "of you it is required to forgive all men, unless..." It is plain and simple... forgiveness received for salvation comes when forgiveness is given for temporal matters. When someone wants to hold on to those evil horrible feelings of hate, bitterness, jealousy they are only doing ONE thing. They are creating a two way road... a lane for the Spirit of Christ to leave a lane for the spirit of the devil to come in. That is the ONLY thing that is happening. It creates tension and unnecessary contention. And we all know that eternal verity found in 3 Nephi 11:29... contention is the fruit of the devil himself. When we harbor our feelings and anchor our hearts in the anger of a TEMPORAL act we are hindering our potential to receive things that are ETERNAL. When forgiveness isn't given, destruction follows. We can all see it today in the world around us. There is internal, personal destruction...and then the even worse... external, involving families, destruction. God created Adam and Eve the next thing we read is that the 'man was with the woman'. God married Adam and Eve... he created the first earthly family. Right there we see the importance of the family in the eyes of God. It is one of the most important building blocks of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Satan is working so hard today to destroy that which is so precious to our Heavenly Father... us and our families. God's work and glory is to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man...US!! and not just us personally but with our families. The greatest joy, 1st degree in the Celestial Kingdom, will only come IF we have a family bound and sealed together for eternity. That is EXACTLY what Satan doesn't want... and it breaks my heart to see the success he is having today. What does Satan do? All he needs is for us to not forgive each other. It is simple. I will paraphrase what the doctrine says in D&C... "Look, I will forgive whoever I want to forgive, but you need to forgive everyone. If you don't want to forgive everyone you only bring upon your own head the greater sin and you tumble down at a faster and faster rate and make that hellish chain around your neck even stronger." I know that is bold... but it is also truth. No unclean thing can enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. We all have those infamous 'spots' on our souls that we need to get off. So we go to the Lord for help because it is only through Him that we can have those eternal dirt spots removed. If we don't have them removed they will scream to the Lord and testify of our unworthiness when we stand before His judgement seat. So what will help us remove those spots? Us having the strength, courage, and faith to forgive others. I don't know how merciful the Lord will be. I know very well that I have no right whatsoever to cast out judgement in that regard. But I do have the right to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I do have the right to call others unto repentance... and forgiveness. I am swimming in the blessings that have come my way because I can forgive others. At this time you are probably saying, "Huh, just wait big guy! You have no idea whats coming for you!" And to those who are thinking that I say 'what right do you have to judge me of my spiritual strength and my spiritual foundation. Was it not a 14 year old boy who had so much faith that he saw our Heavenly Father and our Savior and Redeemer, Jesus Christ? Was it not the little boy David who killed the giant Goliath? Was it not the 10 year old Mormon who was entrusted with the responsibility to take care of the plates of Nephi when the time came? Yes, I am only 19 years old but I know that power of forgiveness is real. My heart aches for the destruction taking place today because of the pride of others. Please forgive, please show your love, and I promise you that the Lord will only pour out His Spirit upon you in even more abundance. I know that I am not perfect and I hope that you can all forgive me for any wrong that I have done to you. Take my hand and lets show our Heavenly Father and our Savior Jesus Christ that we are not hypocrites... that we truly are disciples! We truly are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints! We are the symbol of our religion! We heard that multiple times in conference... now lets show the world who we really are. I love you all and I leave this things things with you in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.

Elder Christiaan Schmid

PS - I am sorry that I wasn't able to email everyone this week. This took all my time. I love you all and thank you so much for your love and prayers! Til next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment