Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Monday, June 11, 2012

Bonjour ma mère!

This week went by so fast! I love it when the weeks go by fast because that means I am that much closer to seeing you. Don't get me wrong... I love the mission, but I am away from my eternal family. I am so grateful for what my mission has done for me and for what it will still do for me over the next year, but I can't wait to be back with my family again. I was thinking about my patriarchal blessing and what it says about you and Dad, and every time I do, I am overcome with this feeling of love for you and Dad. You two are my heroes and I am so grateful for all that you do for me :)

I hope you had an awesome birthday! I was writing in my journal and it was so weird thinking that 20 years ago on your birthday you were super pregnant with me. I am sure that was a pleasant birthday ;) I love you, Mom!

I will try to answer your questions from this week... yeah, its kinda tripping me out that I will be twenty this week. Actually, the fact that I will be 20 doesn't really phase me... it's just when I start thinking about things that took place 10+ years ago. I remember right when I turned 10, we had our home teachers over and one of them was Skylar Marin and he said something like this, "Wow, you are already in the double digits!" and it's trippy thinking that that was already 10 years ago. Time goes by so fast. I think I say that in every email... sorry. Yes, I do remember the Standifirds. I hope Jacob does well and its good to hear about Jared. That would be such a cool place to serve a mission. (Jacob was married this week and Jarod is serving in Peru.)

This past week was a pretty busy week and I will start with the highlight of the week... zone conference! We had all the missionaries from Yaoundé come down and President Jameson came with his wife and with Elder Renlund of the 70 and his wife. It was such a sweet conference! I love learning from them so much. This has been my second time now, learning from Elder Renlund, and he has helped me understand certain small principles so much better. He is a very smart man and you can tell that he truly is an especial witness of our Savior Jesus Christ. I love it so much when President Jameson is in town. He always makes you feel so loved and special. It is always a treat because he is so far away, so it is difficult for him to be here with us frequently. He always knows what to say and what to teach. I have so much respect for that man. I know that he was called by God to serve as a mission president here in this area, and I know that I was called by God to work under his direction. I love President Jameson.

We had 4 of the Yaoundé elders stay in our apartment and it was a party! There were some interesting debates about Joseph Smith and the Masons between the Africans and one of the elders from Yaoundé. It is funny to watch how they conduct themselves when they 'debate' or 'share information and beliefs'. The Africans get so riled up and loud voiced and everything and this one kid was completely chill and calm the whole time. Speaking of people getting riled up... this is random, but who cares... there was another accident in that carrefour right by our apartment, and this taxi man took out a moto with an old woman as a passenger. No worries... they are completely fine. The grandma was pretty upset, though. Well, about 20 minutes later, this random guy showed up and he started arguing about what happened and he was putting blame on someone. He wasn't even there!!! That is how it always is here... there is an accident and everyone swarms around and starts testifying what they saw or how they think it happened and they will scream at you and fling their arms all over the place. I got it on camera a few weeks ago but the video is too big to send home so you will see it when you get the memory card.

We had to do some splits this week and Elder Thibault worked with another kid, who arrived when he did, and they were alone in Cameroon with their french, but they actually made it by and did a great job! I was working with Elder Nash and we went to see Frère Abega (Sœur Louise's brother) and we had such an awesome rendezvous. He is progressing with his marriage which means he is progressing with his baptism! He promised us that he will be baptized no later than July 15th! So, I am really hoping that that promise will come to pass. It is cool thinking about how he saved his sisters life and now she has helped him save his own. I am so grateful that I am able to play a little role in his progression. Every time we do splits we do it so that I will be able to go see him. He has so much faith. He almost lost it all because of the trials he was having but a miracle happened and his attitude totally changed. When we ask him what he has been studying he always goes into D&C and starts reading about the deep doctrine stuff. I love him and his family so much. Have you been able to send Sœur Louise the photo of Abega's family, Elder Nash, and I? I told him that I would give that to her.

We got transfer information, and Elder Nash's companion will be going back to Kinshasa because there are 9 missionaries leaving and only one coming. There have been visa problems, so we don't have that many missionaries coming for the moment. They have had to shut down 7 sectors throughout Kinshasa and Brazzaville. No worries though... I am pretty sure they will open right back up again when we start getting over this visa problem. So Elder Nash's new companion will be Elder Addington! Yep, I will be back with my MTC companion... well, in the same apartment. I love Elder Addington. I am super excited to have an all American apartment too... because that means CLEAN!!! I love Elder Kazadi, but he made a lot of messes and didn't do to good of a job cleaning them up. There will be a missionary from Madagascar who will be replacing Elder Addington in Bonaberi.

Here is a funny story and I think I will finish the email with this one. When Elder Nash and I were on splits, we were way the heck out in the middle of no where because that is where Abega lives. When we were returning home we got into a taxi and I sat down next to this older woman. I said hello to her and asked her how she was doing and she said that she was doing alright and then she asked me the same and I said, "I just ate fufu and vegitables... I am doing VERY good!" She laughed and she thought it was funny that a white boy was eating african food. We started talking about the African dishes that I love like Sanga and l'okok avec sucre et manyoke and she was blown away that I knew about all these foods. I somehow transitioned the conversation into one about the church and I presented to her our message and gave her a family brochure and told her to come to church. Well, that night she called me and asked for directions to the church because she really wanted to come, and then, the next morning, we got a call from her because she couldn't find the church.  So, we went out and found her and brought her to the church and she loved it! She was introduced to the Book of Mormon and she really wants a copy. Unfortunately, we didn't have one with us but we will be at her house on Wednesday to teach her about the Restoration and Joseph Smith! This all started because I told her I was super good because I ate fufu and mashed up boiled vegitables. I love missionary work!

Your stories about the family this week cracked me up! I am more than willing to accept that calling you have already given to me for when I get home. I would love to do that. (Teach his younger siblings how to play softball)  I am very excited for Dallin to get his patriarchal blessing! That will be such a neat experience. I hope all else is going well. I love you, Mom. What you said at the beginning of your email really touched me. You are an angel :) Have a great week!

Je t'aime,
Elder Schmid

No comments:

Post a Comment