Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

 
Hey there!
 
It sounds like you all are having a great time! I was writing earlier this morning and I realized that today was labor day chez vous. Thank goodness we don't have a 'labor day' in the mission field because this work is the best. I can't believe that we are already in Septembre... no I didn't spell that wrong, that is how it is in french. I think the rings are only $30 over at deseret bookstore. He said he was totally fine with one in English so I would just get that one instead. It would get here faster. Just make sure it is 8 1/2. Thank you so much! It is definitely a small world. Keri Ford (Decker) is one of my really good friends!! I am glad you got the letters!
 
This week was pretty great, and a lot went down, and I forgot to write my little outline thing in my daily planner so I brought my journal with me so I can remember some things. I have the worst memory in the world...
 
On Tuesday, we were able to have interviews with President Jameson. He wasn't here though... it was over skype. It was a little different but it was still awesome. I love President Jameson so much and he will be coming soon for a zone conference. I can't wait to see him! It is always nice seeing him and Sister Jameson because it is like having a little piece of home with you. It's crazy to think that the three of us only have 10 months left on our missions.
 
We met a man named Joseph, for the first time, last Sunday and we met with him a few times throughout the week. He is a great investigator and it seemed like he knew everything was true before we even taught it to him. He told us that a friend gave him a Book of Mormon that she never read and he started reading and found it to be really edifying, and he found our number in it so he gave us a call and asked us to help him understand more about the Book of Mormon and our message. We met with him Tuesday at the church and he got there 45 minutes late, and I was a little bugged because I like sticking to the program but then he told us that he had walked over two hours just to be there.... and then he walked all the way back home. Wow... that is desire. He has so much faith. We went to his house the next day and we taught him the Restoration and Elder Lavering invited him to be baptized and he said "of course"... and by the way he was saying it, he was meaning, "well duh, why wouldn't I get baptized?" He came to church again yesterday and he participates a lot and answers a lot of questions throughout the lessons. He is a great guy!
 
This week, when we went to see Abega, I was fixed on figuring out every single detail that was preventing him from getting married. So, when I told him what I wanted to do for the rendez-vous he kinda chuckled and started making the list. Here in Cameroon if you want to get baptized your marriage needs to be registered by appropriate government officials. Tons of people here are married tribally but the Church sent lawyers here to study the law so we could more fully follow the 12th article of faith and they informed us of what we need to expect now with the marriage. Abega is already tribally married.... all he has to do is register the marriage and he has the money for it too. He didn't know how easy it was! It was neat seeing the excitement in his eyes grow by the second as we were explaining all of this to him. We have a member in the Bonaberi branch who works with registering marriages so we gave him her number and we finally got this boat moving! We have now fixed his baptismal date for Oct. 6th... for him and Carine. All they need to do is register that marriage! So keep him in your prayers. I really want to see this one through.
We were walking down the road the other day and two Americans crossed the road so they could talk to us and when they approached us one of them said, "American?" and we nodded in the affirmative and then he said, "Mormon's?" and we nodded once more and then he got all stoked and said, "No *@#*!! We found the elders!!" He was super excited and started talking about the history of the church and the organization of the church and how a new prophet is called and all that... it was super random, but it was pretty neat. We found out that they were in the Navy and were here in Douala for 2 weeks doing some humanitarian stuff. Their boat left a few days ago. Before we split ways, he asked to get a picture with us and so we did. He was standing there busting his finger signs for the picture and saying, "Yeah man! I'm with the elders!" It was sooo random. I hit me that I was talking to Americans... they were from southern Florida and their accents were so weird. I have been away from the States a long time a guess. Before they left we gave them a Restoration brochure and then we walked away. They passed us in a taxi later that day and one guy was screaming out the window while waving "elders! elders!"
 
In Priesthood meeting every Sunday, there is a man named Frère Momo who gives the lesson and he always writes one sentence on the black board and focuses his whole lesson on that one sentence. Lots of times people ask him questions that he can't answer or he doesn't want to, but he really likes to pick on me... like yesterday for example. Someone asked what it meant to "mettre notre confiance en Dieu" (put our confidence in God, or trust God). When he heard the question he said, "Hmmm, well does anyone want to answer that question?" and before anyone could say anything he said, "The spirit is telling me that Elder Schmid is going to answer that question for you. Elder Schmid..." I just smiled and laughed to myself and dove into the scriptures and helped him understand that phrase.
 
Yesterday in fast and testimony meeting, the other elders investigator got up to bear her testimony but it ended up being a story-mony... and it was 25 minutes long. We got out of church a half an hour late. Testimony meetings always go late over here.
 
All is well and I am loving my mission. It is so much fun working with people helping them improve their lives and helping them come closer to their Savior, Jesus Christ. I love my job :) and I love you!!
 
Je t'aime maman,
Elder Schmid

No comments:

Post a Comment