Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

 
Bonjour Maman!
 
I can't believe that it is already Monday again! The time goes faster and faster. I feel like I say that in every email but it's so true. This week was a great week and over the past two weeks Elder Davis and I have been able to teach 60 lessons and we had two baptisms on Saturday. We just got done playing basketball and the court was wet so there was a bunch of slipping and sliding and some falling and I'm proud to say that I didn't fall once! I just read Natascha's email and she told me about Lance Armstrong... dang, that sucks for him. I just heard that Steve Nash was traded to the Lakers... dang, that sucks for us.
 
The only difference between Congo and Cameroon, I feel, is the poverty. I feel like I'm in Africa everywhere I go. I wish I could send you my pictures but I'm too scared to connect my camera to the computers here. I'll see if the Wheatley's would let me shoot a couple home. I can't really tell you what city I like best because I love them all so much. I do like the fact that I feel like I'm in Africa over here in Congo... and I I think it's cool just to say that I'm in the Congo, but Cameroon is very close to my heart. I spent the last 14 months of my life there. The Wheatley's are awesome and I love being with them. They are fun to be around.
 
We have an investigator named Trésor and he is in a typical African situation. He needs to get married so that he can get baptized. He and his girlfriend, Cecilia, have a gorgeous little girl who is 11 months old and they have been together for a long time so we don't want to just split that up. If they split up, then Cecilia would have to go to Brazza to live with her family because Trésor doesn't have a job and can't pay for another apartment here. During the week, we taught them the importance of fasting and praying, and we decided to fast together yesterday. We went over to their house yesterday at 18h00 to break the fast, and as we were eating, Trésor let us in on a little miracle that was happening in his life. We gave him a number to a brother in the branch of MPaka who could help him find work, and so on Saturday he called that brother and was invited over to his house. After meeting together for a little bit, Trésor left with an opportunity to go work on an oil rig and would do 2 weeks on and 2 weeks back here in Pointe Noire and would make around 872,000 cfa for every two weeks on the rig, along with bonuses and what not. That is a TON of money for people around here and that would easily pay for that blasted wedding dot and for the marriage license. So the Lord blessed him with this awesome miracle before we even fasted! Trésor knows that our message is true and is willing to do whatever it takes to get baptized and more fully follow the will of our Heavenly Father. I love Trésor and his family and I hope and pray that I will be blessed with the opportunity to rest and see them get baptized.
 
Divin and Anna were baptized on Saturday and it was a nice baptism service. Divin was sitting next to me and as we were singing he was rocking in his chair and nodding his head back and forth and really getting into it. I'm going to miss that, so much, when I get back home and sing at church. It is just better here. I'll probably be the loud singer in the ward when I get back. I'm sorry but all three branches that I have worked in have put our ward to shame with the amount of enthusiasm and feeling and spirit as they sing. I love it so much. EVERYONE sings... even if you can't. I wish you all could experience a Sunday over here.
 
Today we are going to go to the beach and play football and eat hot dogs!! Awww yeah! It has been so long since I have played football. Our zone is awesome and we are together a lot. We just went to this restaurant called La Mie Dorée and we ate a monster burger and it was the best burger I have had on the mission. It didn't taste African at all. It was a nice big double burger too. All 8 of us got one and we ate those things up so fast. They also had french fries and they were the best fries I have gotten on the mission as well. It all cost 4,000 cfa. The only bummer was that the meal didn't include any drinks.
 
I can't believe that the elections are tomorrow!! I'm nervous about the outcome. I just hope and pray that the right choice is made. People throw a fit and get so excited and happy when they find out that Romney is a member. After years of preparation it all comes down to tomorrow. America will definitely be in my prayers.
 
Well, I don't know what else I could write. I don't have my planner with me and my memory is pretty bad. Next time I promise I will have a more detailed email. I love you so much and I'm glad you are doing well. Have a great week!
 
Je t'aime!
Elder Schmid

No comments:

Post a Comment