Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Monday, December 12, 2011

Hey hey hey!

Man, I can't believe that it has been another week. This week went by so fast and it was sooo awesome!! I love being a missionary so much! I have the privilege of seeing so many blessings and miracles every single day. This is the best job in the world.

So, something pretty funny happened last week. We went to go meet with one of our investigators but she wasn't there, and her husband wasn't either, so Elder Lamb and I just sat down on their front step and tried calling around for people that we could see. As we were sitting there, the grandmother walked up and started talking to us. I asked her how she was doing and she said that she wasn't doing too well. So, then I asked what was not going well. Haha, she told me that she has had diarrhea for the past two weeks and that she was throwing up and what not... I said, "wow, ça n'est pas bien!" (that's not good!) and she said "Oui! Je te dis!" (Yeah, I'm telling you!) haha it was pretty funny. Gross too.

Last Sunday, there was a man who came to church because a member in our branch introduced the church to him. So we set up a rendezvous with him this week and met him and his family and gave an awesome lesson. Well, he ended up telling us that he was Muslim and his kids were too... and as you all know, missionaries CAN NOT teach Muslims because of the problems that could come into their lives through converting to Christianity. We asked him if there would be any problems and he looked at us like we were stupid and basically said, "uh, no when you get old you can make your own decisions." So Elder Lamb and I are going to talk to President Jameson and see what we can do. His wife is catholic and was so excited that he was finally expressing interest in Jesus Christ and wanting to learn more. Their kids are pretty cool too! It was a little awkward at first. We had to wait at this huge catholic church for someone to come show us to their house and his 16 year old daughter came and she was dressed kind of sleazy... so it was weird walking in the dark with her. We got a lot of weird looks. I felt like such a creeper... and that wasn't the case at all!

We were teaching another one of our investigators with her granddaughter who is about 11 years old. Our investigator, Marthe, wasn't really understanding the stuff we were reading in 2 Nephi 31, and before we could explain it to her, her little granddaughter, who isn't even a member, started busting out the doctrine that is found in that chapter! It was so incredible. I felt like I was listening to a person who has been a member their whole life! A little later in the lesson she said something that opened my eyes a little... "Elle a dit," (You can't call anyone ugly). "We are created in the image of God and if you do you are insulting God." I felt like I was just slapped right across the face. I had never thought about this like that before. The day before that, I saw this french guy walking arm in arm with these 2 sleazy African women and I was telling Elder Lamb how he looked like a freak child predator and weird. And then this little girl said that little line and I was put in my place... figuratively speaking. It was a good chastisement.

So, on Sunday we went and met one of our investigators who was at church. We got there and started talking to her and she started talking about how she got back from work that morning at 6 in the morning and she didn't really want to go to church. But she had said to us that she would go. So she got down on her knees and started praying and said "Lord, if the Book of Mormon and this church are true, please give me the strength to get up and go to church." She said right at that moment she was overcome with joy and strength and she went to church! She told us how she knows now without a doubt in her mind that our message and that this church are true!! It was so awesome to hear that! And I understood all of it too! Elder Lamb didn't have to translate for me. I was so happy! Those are the kinds of things that I see every single day of my mission. I love this work so much!

As far as the skype, I can skype but I have no clue what the schedule will be. When I do find out I will email you first thing. I can't wait to see you and talk to you!

I love you all so much and I hope all is going well. And thank you so much for your emails... they are so awesome. I'm sorry my emails suck... anywho, I love you! I can't wait to find out that you popped and that I have another little bro layin around at chez-moi!!

Oh, and as for the blog, you are doing AWESOME!! Thank you so much. It looks so good! You're the best :)

Je t'aime,
Elder Schmid

No comments:

Post a Comment