Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

 
Hey hey hey!!
 
This week flew by! Je n'ai pas beaucoup de temps (I do not have much time) but I'll try my best to write you a good email. Caelan mentioned in her email that I will by skyping you for only 20 minutes... false. Don't worry, I will get my full 40 minutes. I have another blog for you to add... missioninthecongo.blogspot.com ... that is the Wheatley's blog (he obviously hasn't noticed that their blog address has been on his blog since he has been in Congo). Over here it is just hot... it has been hot since I have been here. I like it though because it reminds me of home. I have a pretty wicked farmers tan now, so it will be funny when I get home and go swimming with you guys. We may have to wait a week or two before we go to sunsplash.
 
This week was another great week over here. We had President Jameson come over and we watched the First Presidency Christmas Devotional together, which was AWESOME, and then we had a little zone conference. I love it so much when President is in town. We were at the Wheatley's and right at the end, I went outside and I noticed that there was a big dump truck out in front of their gate... I went and looked to find that the road, the only way to get out of that quartier where they are at, was completely covered by rock and sand. The people that did it saw that the "white people" were upset and they high tailed it out of there. We had some other guy walk up to us and say, "If there are the possibilities me and my guys could help you." As he said that he was rubbing his fingers together... so we just got our own shovels and moved the dirt ourselves. It took a while and I think every single one of us got blisters but we made it possible for the Wheatley's to get their car out. It was actually pretty fun.
 



 
We have been having a lot of success with finding new people to teach. One of them is Jean. At this moment I don't know exactly what to think of him... He comes to church though, and loves to learn but when we teach him it is hard for him to focus. Every time we are with him he gives us a ton of fruit (pineapple, papaya, mangoes), and one pineapple he gave us was much, much bigger than my head. I forgot to get a picture of it. It was massive! Last time we were with him there was a huge funeral going on right down the road and there were a bunch of crazy women jumping and chanting and in the middle of the mosh pit was the casket with an old woman in it. When we left we followed Jean and he decided to take us right through the funeral celebrations. I'll just say that we quickly got the attention... of everyone. It was pretty funny to see.
 
There is some success with Trésor. He will be losing his house soon and so Cecilia will be going down to Brazzaville to stay with her family and so her and Trésor will not be living with each other, thus fulfilling the requirement for baptism. We have nailed it to Trésor the importance of keeping the law of chastity when he once gets a house again and he knows that he can't live with her until they are married and he understands and wants to get baptized. So, finally I feel like we can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
 
Well, sorry this is so short but just know that I love you... sooo much. I can't wait to talk to you on Christmas! Hey, that is when we can take our family picture!! We will all be together :) Have a great week!
 
Je t'aime,
Elder Schmid

No comments:

Post a Comment