Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Monday, January 7, 2013

December 24, 2012
 
Bonjour!
 
So you are sick too? I have had a nasty cold the past three days and it is bugging me so much. My nose is raw and I am so congested. Hopefully it will be gone by tomorrow. I haven't been able to sleep well and it is really starting to wear on me. Oh well, life moves on. I hope you get better.
 
I apologize for the short emails... we have been doing one hour lately for email (against my will) and so I barely have anytime to read all my emails and then write some. The internet is super slow too. I understand where they are coming from but they only get 2 emails a week... I get 15-20. And this is my only communication with the outside world... we don't get to really write letters. For now on I will make sure that I get an hour and a half. That's what we have today so things should go a little smoother. Now for people that are reading this... please don't think that you shouldn't send me emails. Send them! I love to hear from everyone!!
 
Be ready to skype tomorrow at 06h00. I will be at the Wheatley's ready to go at 14h00 my time. Keep on praying that there will be power because lately it has been acting up and internet has not been working. Rest assured though... someway or another we will talk to each other.
 
This week was a great week. We got a lot done and we are seeing a lot of progression with our investigators. We are teaching a young man named Bonace, he actually just turned 19 yesterday. He has a baptismal date for September 5th and he is way excited. We have been teaching him ever since I have gotten here and he was kinda dead at the beginning but things are really moving now and he is stoked to progress and join the church. It is fun to teach him because he wants to learn so much. We taught him yesterday after church and he asked Elder Davis and I, "d'ou vient Dieu?" (where does God come from?) I LOVE talking about things like that but I just smiled and said, "Bonace, one day we will talk about that... but not today." He is a good kid.
 
A few days ago we were over at a members house teaching Daljus, a recent convert, and it started to pour. We didn't have an umbrella and we didn't feel like getting soaked so we decided to wait it out. Well about 45 minutes later we looked outside and the whole entire parcel was under water and the road outside was a river. So we rolled up our pants and took off our socks and and went out to see the chaos. Right when we walked out of the parcel there was this tiny toyota that was stuck in a hole. His engine was in the water and barely staying alive and the water level was above the bottom of the door. We told the guy to go backwards and not continue forward because it only got deeper but some stupid guy convinced him to go forward and he just got more stuck... so we went in to push him out. I was wet up to my waste but after some pushing we got the car out. When it was in the deepest spot the driver opened his door and his whole inside got flooded. I have no clue what was going through his head. Elder Thibault got some sweet pictures that I am going to copy over to my memory card and I will send them to you.
 
The end of the world was a pretty nice day over here. Everyone here gives us crud because they all think that "the whites" believe in the end of the world. They all believe that we are Jehovah's Witnesses and they taunt us and tease us and go off in their native language just trying to get under our skin. A few nights ago it was getting dark outside and we were at a members house waiting for him to come home and we just got off the phone with him and he told us that he wasn't going to make it. So we were just standing there trying to figure out what we were going to do and then a group of young punks came walking by talking crap and taunting us and tried to get a reaction. There wasn't anyone around us so I thought I would scare them a little. They were a bunch a young kids around 16 years old. The further they got the more rude they became so I turned to Elder Davis and smiled and said watch and I turned super fast and started walking toward the kids very quickly and I had a pissed off look on my face and when they realized I was coming toward them they all scattered. I was yelling at them to come to me in their native language but they were too scared. They are all brave with their mouths but that's where it ends. It was pretty funny.
 
I am so excited to see you tomorrow! I hope you all have a great Christmas Eve and Christmas tomorrow! Next time I'll be with you all :) I love you so much!
 
Bio,
Elder Schmid

No comments:

Post a Comment