Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Monday, January 7, 2013

 
Dear Mom,
 
It sounds like you all had a blast over there in La Jolla! That was nice of Paul and John Paul to teach everyone to surf and take them out everyday. Can I get in on that when I get back? Don't worry about the medicine... everything is fine over here. We can find almost everything we need at one of the many pharmacies that are in Pointe Noire. I managed to get Elder Davis and Elder McGrath a little sick too... misery loves company :) Just joking. They don't have it that bad... just a stuffy nose a little headache every once in a while.
 
This week Bonace was baptized! We met with him at church on Saturday and he was just chillin there reading his Book of Mormon in 3 Nephi 11... AWESOME chapter for teaching baptism and the ONE TRUE baptism. He was so excited but he was also very nervous. We had a quick little lesson with him before and let him know that we love him and that we are grateful for his desire to follow the Lord. He asked Daljus to baptize him and Daljus did a good job. In every baptismal service a missionary is asked to give a little talk on the Restoration because there are always non-members who are there and this week it was my turn. I am amazed at how easy it is now to teach the Restoration. I don't even have to think anymore. What I love even more though is that when we teach it it is never the same lesson. I love getting up and teaching people and just following the Spirit. Of course we need to prepare ourselves by studying the scriptures and Preach My Gospel but we have the promise that when the time comes we will know exactly what we need to say.
 
Speaking of the church, the basketball court is not quite finished. It is painted a super bright green color and we are all hoping that it is the primer because it hurts your eyes when you are on the court. The rims are only 9'8 or around there so it is super easy to dunk. So when it is finished and we play it will be a huge dunkfest. I'll see if I can get the 360 down.
 
We got transfer info this week and none of us were expecting what happened. We were almost positive that Elder Davis would be leaving Pointe Noire because he has been here his whole mission so far... well only 6 transfers, but still. He has worked in two sectors but usually you are in a different city by this time. Well, him and I will be doing a third transfer together and I am the new zone leader for Pointe Noire. I look forward to that responsibility because whenever I have a leadership position I tend perform better and become a better person. It helps me focus on being an even better example. I guess I should be doing that everyday, but now I really need to do that. Elder Thibault is going to Yaoundé and the missionary who is working in my old sector in Ekounou 1 will be coming to work with Elder McGrath. It will be fun.
 
I was reading Kurts email and I can't believe that he is already on his last transfer! Le temps passe vite! (Time flies)  I'm glad that he is focused on staying focused. Sometimes there are missionaries here who lose that crucial focus on their last transfer and the sector almost dies. I have promised myself that I will be strong until the end, when I am back with President Toone. Bugs emails always crack me up. It's funny reading his reaction to reality. Tell him to write longer emails! I'm proud to be out here in the mission field with my cousins representing our families and our Lord all across the world. Things are always made easier once you realize that you aren't alone.
 
Love conquers. I have really come to understand that over here on the mission. I have been really praying for the gift of charity lately and it has really been blessing my life. Life is always so much better when love is ongoing and manifested on a regular basis. There is a random thought for you. I love you so much and I am so grateful to be in the family that I am in. I love to read that special paragraph in my patriarchal blessing about our relationship before this life. I know that that is true. Thank you for being angels in my life. I love you :)
 
Je vous aime,
Elder Schmid

No comments:

Post a Comment