Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Monday, February 25, 2013

 
Dear Mom,
 
Well, I have been sitting at the computer for 13 minutes and MyLDSMail is not loading so I am starting this email on Microsoft Word. I haven'’t had to do that in a long time. I am sitting next to Elder Nash… my new companion! My old 200 pound 6"’ companion was replaced by one that is 118 and 5'’6". It is an interesting change but I like it. I was sad to say goodbye to Elder Davis. I loved working with him so much. We were together for 18 weeks and we never argued or had any heated feelings. Those three transfers were awesome. I have been really blessed to have great companions. He is now over in my old sector. Well actually, Ekounou got split up and now there are three companionships. My old area has exploded and there are so many members. It’s awesome. So Elder Davis gets to go over there and work his butt off and bring them all to the knowledge of the Gospel. He will do great.

Pointe Noire Elders
 
Jean Joseph wanted to say goodbye to Elder Davis so he had a big dinner and invited the branch presidency, the elders quorum presidency, the relief society presidency, and the MPaka missionaries. He got this big tent shade set up in his parcel and set up a bunch of chairs. The thing was supposed to start at 3:00 PM and we were there ten minutes early. It ended up starting at 4:45. … I thought Mormon Standard Time was bad. HAH! Try being organized and punctual in the Congo. It eventually started and we had a nice lesson. I felt bad though, because the branch leaders totally took over and didn'’t even let Jean Joseph even conduct or lead HIS little get together at HIS house. The Church is so interesting when it is in its beginning stages. As we were sitting there Mother Nature decided to let us know that she'’s a powerful beast and we had freak wind storm followed by awesome rain and lightning. We were all sitting there and then the tent started flying away and iron poles were falling all around us. No one was hurt. We all made it safely to the house but we were all soaked. So we just finished the night in there and then we ate an amazing dinner. I love that family.
 
I love working with Elder Nash. It is fun having someone with as much experience as you. His French is great and so that helps a lot when we are teaching. When my companion doesn'’t speak a lot of French I tend to dominate the lesson. So it helps that he speaks it well. It is just weird having someone up to my neck.  I love it eventhough it makes me feel big :) He is a great missionary. Him and I became good friends in the MTC and we would always tell each other that we would be companions in Africa and, lo, and behold, 18 months later here we are! It is great. I look forward to this transfer.
 
Elder Lavering is now over here in Congo!! I was so excited to see him! He told me so many awesome things about the progression of my old sector in Douala. Our investigators got baptized! Elder Lavering is such a chill, funny kid. That companionship was so much fun. The only bad thing is that we are not in the same apartment… but hey, maybe before the end of my mission I'’ll get transferred to a sector over there and then we'’ll be in the same apartment again.
 
I volunteered to teach the amis class this Sunday and it was awesome. I love how comfortable I feel when teaching in front of people. I don’'t get butterflies,… I don'’t stutter…, I don'’t get lost. The Lord has really helped me out a lot. I love to teach. The reason I taught was because the last two weeks were a disaster. We just wanted to show them how we want amis class to run. The last two weeks the amis didn'’t even participate and it was just two branch missionaries bickering back and forth. It was pretty annoying. They tried to do it when I taught, but I was the boss of that lesson and I didn'’t let them.
 
I am so happy that Caelan made it to BYU!  I knew she would…, especially when I heard that she got a 31 on the ACT. She is a genius. So how many names does Bronson have? Bron Bron, Bronson, Brony. … He seems to have a new nickname every week! 
 
I love you all so much and I hope you have a great week!
 
Je t’aime,
Elder Schmid

No comments:

Post a Comment