Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Monday, April 8, 2013

 
Dear Mom,
 
I just logged into my email and it took just over a minute. Awww yeah!!! Fast internet! I have missed this so much! I am so excited to be back in Yaoundé. My life changed in this city. It is special to me. I'm glad to hear that you all are doing well. For conference, we were only able to watch the announcements by President Monson about the 65,000 missionaries, and we also watched President Packers talk and then we watched the Priesthood session. There were some powerful talks. I think the two that touched me the most (out of the 7 that I saw) were Elder Callister's and President Monson's talks in priesthood. I remember being deacon's quorum president but I didn't even come close to understanding my full potential. President Monson's talk in priesthood seemed to be geared toward missionary work, so of course, all of the missionaries there that night were glued to the screen. I love when President Monson teaches because he teaches with his experiences. I am always so interested in his talks because he can pull you into his life. That is how it was for a few weeks when I was reading his biography. I know that he is a prophet of God.
 
I'm glad you are following up with your commitments to the missionaries. We are always trying to get coordonnées but it is so difficult because people are scared that their friends are going to think they are weird or overbearing when they find out that the missionaries were sent to their house at the request of that particular member. Don't fear! It's the gathering of Israel, right? We're all in this together. Thanks for taking on that challenge and doing your best with it. You guys are golden.
 
So, I want to tell you about a little miracle that took place as Elder Addington and I were leaving Congo for Cameroon. In the past, missionaries have had to pay for overweight charges when traveling, like when I went to Congo. Well President Jameson announced that the mission will now cover those charges so we are able to pack our normal things and not leave books and what not behind. Well, as I was packing I realized that I was going to be overweight and by a lot and I just felt guilty. I didn't want precious church funds to have to go to a missionary who wanted to have a few extra french books and things he has collected over the mission. I knelt down and prayed and basically said, "Look, I know that I am overweight. I understand that the mission will pay for the overage charges. Father, please let Elder Addington and I go through without needing to pay, and allow these funds to go to something more important. But I know the Church we will honor the laws of the land." Something like that. Well, I picked up Addington's suitcase and he was twice over the limit. Together we would have had to pay $160. We got to check in and they put the bags on the scales, I was looking around and other people were getting charged for their overweight bags so I thought to myself "great, well, get the money ready..." Something went wrong with my check in pass so I sat there for about 10 minutes and then the guy weighing the bags announced the weight to the guy checking me in and he simply said "ok" and gave me my pass and smiled and said, "have a nice flight." I couldn't believe it!! It was like it didn't even phase them. It was an awesome answer to prayer. I don't think that has happened before with the missionaries traveling to and from Congo.
 
I am now with Elder Johnston. He is from Oklahoma and is very white. Every missionary is when they first get here. He is somewhat quiet but has opened up a lot over the past day or two. We haven't been able to do much teaching because of the activities and meetings and what not, but this week we will hit the ground running with our branch missionaries and really get into our sector. He took french for four years before the mission and his basic french skills are really good. He is just having difficulties understanding what the people are saying. Cameroonian french is not the prettiest... that's for sure. I know that in a transfer or two he will have it down and will be teaching just as much as I am. I am so excited for these next two transfers.
 
I know that some of you have sent things to Congo and are worried if I will ever get them. Elder Nash said that he will take everything home with him that comes after I left. So no worries. I'll get to open your letters and what not and you can watch!
 
I am so happy to be back here in Yaoundé. The Whitesides are awesome!! We have such incredible couples in the mission. I have always heard great things about them and now I get to experience them for myself. It hasn't even been 4 days and Elder Whitesides and I are already good buddies. I have to thank the Gailey's a lot though... they put in a good word about me. I was actually able to see the Gailey's when I landed in Douala. We were only together for about 20 minutes because they had to get us to the bus station to go to Yaoundé but it was awesome being able to talk with them in the truck. I love them so much. They come up to Yaoundé sometimes so I'll be able to see them a couple more times before I go home.
 
Well, I'll have more to tell you next week! I love you all so much and I can't wait to hear from you next week. You are always in my prayers :)
 
Je vous aime,
Elder Schmid

No comments:

Post a Comment