Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Thursday, April 25, 2013

 
Dear Mom,
 
I just looked at every picture that Janalyn took for Caelan and they look amazing! Caelan is so beautiful! It is crazy seeing how much everyone is growing up. It sounds like she has been having quite the senior year. I am proud of her. I love my family so much and miss you all like crazy, but don't worry... after two more months of giving it my all, I'll be back home with you guys :) That's a wonderful thought.
 
So I have been having some pretty hard core asthma lately and all I have is an old inhaler that expired back in September 2012 so it hardly works. If you send me a package could you please put a new inhaler in there. I have no clue what is happening but I have been waking up in the night because it was so difficult for me to breathe. I have only used two inhalers my whole mission and I left all the others in Douala but those won't do me any good because they all expired last year. I thought it wouldn't matter, the expiration date and all, but now that I really need it, I am starting to realize that I was wrong. Don't feel rushed! I'm not dying... yet.
 
This week we were able to go to the monkey park and look at they monkeys. It was neat but it wasn't as fun as the last time I went. Last time I went we were able to get right up close to the gorillas and chimpanzees and what not, but this time they had us far away from the fences. We didn't even get to dodge chimpanzee poop and sticks! That's the whole reason we go there! It was still fun though. Last time I was there, I was with Elder Lamb. Time has gone by so fast. I think my favorite part was being able to be with the Gaileys. Our four man district was in their truck for the drive and I was up front sitting with Elder and Sister Gailey and we were able to talk a lot. I think I feel so close to them because they remind me so much of our family. I really hope one day that you will get to meet them. They are some of my best friends out here on the mission... that's for sure.


 Elder Johnston and I have been getting to know the sector and we have it down pretty well I think. It's still a little rough in some areas but things are getting better. We don't have as many lessons as I am used to. Like last week we only had 19 and this week we only had 17. I know that in other missions elders would kill to have that opportunity... so at the end of the week when I report my numbers, I have to remind myself how blessed I am to be in an area where I can just go out and talk with whomever I want about Jesus Christ and they will accept me and continue a conversation with me.
 
I really like what you said in your last paragraph.  (From mom's letter:  "I know the Lord is always mindful of you and will always watch over you.  I pray that He will continue to bless you with the strength you need to endure, and a feeling of peace so that you may always be happy.  I'm so proud of you and of all your accomplishments!  You left as an immature boy and you are coming home as a man of God.  I hope the traits you have developed on your mission will stay with you a life time.")  So much has went down since June 29th, 2011 and I have changed so much and I hope and pray that these changes will stay with me for the rest of my life. There will be days when I lay my head on my pillow after a long day and I just ponder my life and everything that has gone down. I realize how far I have come and I just sit there smiling. I am so blessed. I'll be talking to people about my life over here and when I'm done I'll sit there and reflect over what I just said and then quietly think to myself, "Man, my life is perfect." I am so grateful for the maturity that I have received since leaving you guys. My understanding of things of eternal importance has grown so much and it came after the biggest trial of my life. This week in priesthood we discussed chapter 7 in the Lorenzo Snow book. I love that gospel principle so much... we cannot be exalted and become as our Father is if we don't pass through tribulation and trial. I love finding answers to life's questions. I have found a lot since being set a part as a full time missionary. One of those questions that I had was, "As faithful members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints do we have such big trials? Doesn't the Lord bless those that love Him?" I found the answer to that question in the New Testament, 1 Peter 1:7-9.  ("That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:  Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory:  Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.")  I love those verses so much. Those have become some of my favorite verses in the scriptures. I use them often because they provide so much understanding. The finest steel comes from the hottest fire... and our Heavenly Father doesn't want anything but the finest steel in us, therefore those who truly love Him and put Him first find themselves receiving some of the biggest trials in this world. We have gone through a lot lately as a family and as individuals but that is because we are putting God first. He wants us to be polished and ready for when we see Him again. I love talking about that so much with people.
 
Well, I love you and I hope you have a great week. Thank you for your prayers. I need them and I know that the Lord is answering them and helping me out.
 
Je t'aime,
Elder Schmid
 
Elder Johnston and I eating your typical Cameroonian dish...
mashed whatever-you-can-get with fufu.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment