Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Monday, September 12, 2011

Yaounde 9/12/11

Family!! I am so excited to email you right now. I have so much to say but I don't have that much time. But I am going to try my best.

So my stay in Douala only lasted about 16 hours. We had an amazing dinner and then I wrote in my journal and then I went to bed. I was so tired. The next day we woke up and had breakfast with the elders in Douala and then Elder Hoiland, LaFleur and I went to the immigration office because we were going to Yaoundé. It was basically a super run down building. There was dirt and mud all over the floors. We did whatever it was that we needed to do there and then the senior couple in Douala, the Nuttals, took us to the bus and shipped us off to Yaoundé. The drive was so beautiful. We went through the jungle and we passed little villages and stuff. It was super pretty. Driving in Africa is NUTS!!! There are like no traffic rules at all. So we finally got to Yaoundé and then Elder Thompson picked us up. He took us to his apartment where his wife and Sister Jameson were cooking dinner. It felt so good to see Sister Jameson (Misson Presidents wife whom we met when Christiaan got his mission call because they live only 15 minutes away from us.) It was like a little slice of home right there in front of me. She is so awesome. Elder Thompson then went to go pick up President Jameson because he was out doing branch business. When they got back we had an amazing dinner and then President Jameson interviewed the new missionaries. I love President Jameson. He is such an awesome guy and I am so excited to work under him. After the interviews we packed up and Elder Thompson and the President took us to our apartments. Elder Hoiland and LaFleur are in the Ekounu II area and their trainers are Elder Hansen and Elder Tingey. After we dropped them off we went to my apartment. My apartment is in this little sector called Mimboman. I finally met my trainer! His name is Elder (Tucker) Lamb. He is such a solid missionary. After working with him for a week I know that we are going to do great things together. I was so tired so I went and wrote in my journal and went to bed. So that was my first day in Yaoundé. There is so much more I want to tell you but I don't have enough time. I am going to try to knock out some letters over the next few weeks and send them to you.

So the work here is BUSY!! Currently Elder Lamb and I have 30 investigators...yeah. We are so busy! The only time we have to do contacts is when we are in a taxi and we talk to whoever is sitting next to us. Picture the little orange car the Allreds have (Chevy Aveo hatchback) with 7 people in it. That is what taxis are like here. It is so crazy. My first day, we were in this really super poor area and we were giving a lesson at like 7 at night in this shack and it was so incredible. We were teaching this young man named Frankie. I asked him if he would commit to being baptized and he accepted! My first invitation here in Africa and it was accepted!!! The work is incredible over here! I have invited 7 people to be baptized and they have all accepted! Out of our 30 investigators right now, 11 have a baptismal date! The work is going so fast down here. I am so blessed that I am able to take part in it. Sister Jameson was telling us how in Africa it was like Joseph Smiths time because the church is so new here. Incredible.

This area is so poor. I live in a castle compared to everyone else and the best thing I could compare our apartment to is the motels on Main St. It is literally shacks with the thin metal roofs like on the cabin on Mt. Graham. People here are so poor but they are so happy! Its incredible. They are such a happy people. Elder Lamb and I take a taxi basically wherever we go and we pay the equivalent of 20-40 cents per ride. Everything is so cheap here. Their gutters on the side of the road hold all the trash. They are very gross. I have seen dead animals and waste and they all stink so bad.

Church was incredible! We had 10 investigators attend! I had no clue what was being said but I could really feel the spirit. The spirit amongst the branch is so strong. I had to get up and introduce myself and bear my testimony. It went well, I think. A member, Frère Kamlé, got up and gave a talk and while he was talking he started to sing. Elder Lamb leaned over and said "he is singing for you and welcoming you." So of course, I looked at Frère Kamlé the whole time and was smiling and acting like I really appreciated it. Well, later I found out that Elder Lamb was joking so Frère Kamlé probably thinks I am a freak who doesn't stop smiling. It was pretty funny. As I was sitting in sacrament meeting I realized that it was 9.11. I can't believe that it has already been 10 years... time goes by so fast.

African food is sooooo disgusting. Mom, I take back every single time I ever said something you cooked was gross... I would take some crazy cheese dish you make 1,000 times over something African. My second day here I had this nasty green goop crap with fufu and these nasty bitter African plums. It was so hard for me to eat it. I miss my American food so much.

My companion is so awesome. Elder Lamb went to BYU for a year and half before his mission and played football. He is a pretty big (big as in buff) guy. He is like a head shorter than me. We get along so well though. I was really nervous about who my trainer would be. I wanted someone that I could really relate to and be myself with and he is definitely that person. I am so blessed to be working with him. We have been finding so much success.

When I first got here I was really struggling. Satan was really getting into my head and for the first time since being away from home I really desired to go home. I didn't want to be here. I was so out of my element and away from every single comfort I had grown up with. But I am a firm believer that God answers our prayers. I know that He will always answer the prayers of the faithful. I know that I am supposed to be here. I know that I have great things that I have to do here. Satan knows that too and that is why he is trying so hard to bring me down. When I was depressed and down I prayed to God and asked for comfort and love and He answered my prayers. Whenever I get down, I just think of you guys and that moment when I walk off the plane in Phoenix and hug you all again. That always makes me feel better... :)

I love you so much and I miss you but I know that I am supposed to be here. The mission is incredible and I wish you all could experience what I am experiencing right now. You are always in my prayers. And thank you for your prayers... I need them so much. I love you :)

Avec amour,
Elder Schmid

No comments:

Post a Comment