Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Monday, September 26, 2011

Yaounde 9/26/11

Hi Mom :)

Alright, questions... I am doing great! I am super tired because the work is NUTS, but I am loving every minute of it. At the moment Elder Lamb and I have 18 baptismal candidates. We had 15 investigators at church. Missionary work is so different here than anywhere else in the world. The things I am experiencing right now are so much different from the stories I heard from all my friends that went on missions or from friends on missions right now. Africa is just different. There is no other way to put it. So we do baptisms on the first and third Saturday of every month, and this Saturday we are planning on having 4 investigators baptised. We are baptising this members son who has been taking the lessons for almost a year. He will be getting baptised like 3 days from his year mark. So it is cool to be a part of that. His name is Yves and he has such a solid testimony and his mom is so grateful for Elder Lamb and I. It wasn't us though... it was the Spirit and the Lord! The Lord is just blessing Elder Lamb and I with a front row seat :) We are also baptising this lady, Soeur Kamlé, and her two sons, Junior and Prince. Her husband is already a member so he will be doing the baptisms. She told us about this CRAZY dream that she had once while she was attending another church a few years ago. She said that she walked into a building and went into this room and realized that it was a baptismal service. She saw two men dressed in exquisite white clothes and they beckoned her to come over and they asked her what size she needed (for baptismal clothes) and she told them that she wasn't getting baptized, then they said "have faith and you will be baptized". She then went down the hall and opened every door and every door she opened she said that there were two Book of Mormon prophets in the room. She said that she saw Nephi and Lehi and many others. And she said that she recognized every single one. Elder Lamb and I were just in shock that we were hearing this. We asked her so many questions like "what did Nephi look like?" and "What did they say to you?". I asked her to type up her dream for me so that I could put it in my journal. I am in such a hurry... sorry. I didn't do that dream justice. It was so incredible though! Working with Elder Lamb is awesome. I love that guy so much. He is helping me so much. I was really nervous about who my trainer would be. I really wanted to connect with him and just be myself with him. Well, I can totally be myself with Elder Lamb. We are awesome friends. He is awesome. I don't know what more I can say about him. I am so blessed to have him as my companion. For conference we are going over to the Thompsons at 5 at night to watch the morning session. And then we will go back to the apartment and come back the next day to watch the Priesthood session. Its a bummer that we can't watch them all, but we will be able to in like 3 weeks. As for the food, I guess it has been getting better. I haven't been fed anything crazy so that was good :) Sister Thompson is an amazing cook. Our district was at the Thompsons last night for dinner for a district meeting and she made home made pizza and it was sooo good. I ate so much... like 8 or 9 pieces. Mmmm :) Alright so I think I got all of your questions.

Alright here are some things that I wrote down in my daily planner that I wanted to tell you...

1) So I met this lady named Paulette and she asked me what my name was so I told her that my name was Elder Schmid and she went "Oh okay, Elder Schitt!" and she kept on calling me Elder Schitt the whole rendez-vous. It was pretty funny! We corrected her at the end of the lesson. I wish I could of recorded her saying it... priceless.

2) Elder Lambs mom grew up in Safford. Her maiden name is Curtis. Her parents names are Merna Hooper Curtis and Brooks Curtis. Does Grandma know them? Also, there is an elder in my zone, Elder Tingey, and he has family in Safford/Thatcher, as well. The Udalls and the Curtis's, as well. So email me a more detailed genealogy thing so I can see if we are all related! Like 6 or 7 generations back.

3) I was walking through some slum area and this kid was wearing a Phoenix Suns jersey. That was weird to see at first.

4) I was teaching a lesson and this lady had a crying child and I knew immediately what was going to happen once she picked up the child... she exposed herself and started feeding the kid. Yeah... kinda awkward. That lesson was interesting.

Alright so those were the things that I wanted to tell you. I just want to let you know how much I love you and how grateful I am for everything that you did for me. I know that I am where I am supposed to be right now and that is all because of you and dad. I am so grateful for the examples that you are to me. I hope all is well! I love you :)

Elder Schmid

No comments:

Post a Comment