Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Email 8/23/11

It sounds like you had a great time at FHE with the Ellsworths! Pizza sounds so good right now. They have pizza here but it is old and not good at all. Yes, I got quite the package yesterday from DJ. It means so much that he would go into his personal stash and give me some of his secret stuff. I have been showing that little thing he gave me to all of the Elders in my district and they have all laughed so hard. I couldn't stop laughing when I pulled it out of the box. He also sent me some Diet Mountain Dew!! Awww yeah! Le nectar des dieus! So yeah that package was awesome. He threw in some other goodies as well... like his favorite Disney princess fruit snacks. I can't believe that he would give those two things up for me. Great guy. So Sven (Mom's cousin) was there at the party? Its crazy to think that you haven't seen him in 11 years. My friend just left the MTC to go to Bangkok. I love Uncle Dale so much. He is such a great example to me. Him and I have such an awesome connection and I am so grateful for that. He is definitely one of my heroes in life. Along with Uncle Dean and Grandpa.

So Ashlyn was jumping on the trampoline with her cast? What the heck! She is crazy! Poor girl. I was crying just wearing a stupid boot... I would HATE to have a cast that goes all the way up my leg. I was kind of banking on you knowing the gender of the baby before I got on today. I will have to check my email again before I go back to the rez for the night. (Holy crap... I went to save this as a draft and I accidentally pressed discard. Thank goodness google has an undo discard button.) So I just got back from the temple and I did a session with Aunt DeAnn!! It was awesome! I was walking up to the temple and she was there with Anastacia. Anastacia went to do baptisms while DeAnn and I did a session. It was so great. She sat next to me in the chapel and we talked for about 10 minutes then went into the session. Afterwards, we went to her car and she gave me some dang good rolls. We got a couple of pictures and that was it! When we were sitting in the chapel I mentioned to her that I couldn't believe that she dropped me off almost two months ago!! Time has been flying by so fast! I am about 8-9% done with my mission. Its almost kind of scary how fast the time goes by. I am so grateful that DeAnn went through a session with me. It was awesome having family in there and then seeing her in the Celestial room. Eternal families mean so much more to me now than ever. Especially, when I see my family in the temple. It is such an incredible experience.

So this past week has been a very good week. Wednesday was pretty chill. Nothing really cool happened. Just typical stuff at the MTC. I did have my doctors appointment though and that was pretty interesting. In order for me to get to the doctor, the MTC has to call a shuttle and have them drive me. Well, the doctor that I went to has two offices and the lady told me to go to the one that was like 10 minutes away. When we got there it looked like no one was there but we got out anyways and the shuttle took off. Well, we got to the door and it was locked. He was at his other office. My appointment was at 4 and it was about 20 til so we decided we would sit and wait for him to see if he would come for the appointment but he didn't. Twenty minutes rolled by and no one had showed up, so Elder Addington and I went next door into a hair salon and asked to use a phone and we called the doctors office and asked them to call the shuttle and ask them to pick us up and take us to the right place. So as we were waiting for the shuttle to come we started talking to this lady who looked about 50. We spoke to her for about 10 minutes and in those 10 minutes she popped like 20 pills. She kept going to her purse and getting more. She was so wack. She had HUGE fake eye lashes and they were falling off so whenever she blinked (which she did a lot) they would just flop around. It was very hard to keep a straight face and not laugh while I was talking to her. Sooo funny. So the shuttle finally came and took us to the doctor and we sat and waited for the doctor to have an open slot. I started talking to this lady that I was sitting next to and I mentioned that I am from Mesa and that got her attention. She asked me if I lived by Mountain View and I said yyyup and then she went on to tell me that her daughter lives on Fox just east of Lindsay. She is in the neighborhood that we were in when we were looking at those houses and that one house smelled like poop. So yeah, small world. She went on to say that she has been to the church just south of Dartmouth on Lindsay and I was like "Hey!! That is right by my house! If I jump my fence and cross Lindsay I am there!" So yeah, small world. So, I finally was able to go in to see the doctor and everything is healing just fine. He said that I should wear the boot for a couple more weeks and then I told him that I could walk, run, and jump on my bad foot and he looked at me with a surprised look and said "Really?? Well there is no need for that boot anymore." That was the best news ever!! I know that the Lord is blessing me with this injury that I have. Normally the healing process takes so much longer but mine is flying by! Now I just have to wear my brace for a couple of weeks and then I should be good! My District Presidents wife gave me a tennis ball too cause we were talking and I mentioned for some reason that I wanted a tennis ball... so she went and got me one! She is so awesome. I love the district presidency.

Thursday was great. We went to the health clinic and got our malaria presentation. Not going to lie... that kind of freaked me out just a tiny bit. That stuff is serious! I also started my physical therapy on my ankle... if you could even call it that. The nurse lady asked me if I wanted to have a bag of ice or use an ice bucket to put my foot into and I was like "Well, I have never used an ice bucket before. Let's do that!" Stupid choice. That hurt so bad. I am never going to do that again. I couldn't feel my foot for like 30 minutes after I took it out. I got a sweet package from you on Thursday as well! Thank you so much for the shirts and everything else! You're the best :) I also got an awesome package from Alex! She made brownies and threw a couple in there. I forgot how much I love brownies. I have soooo many M&M's now!! I'm in heaven! She sent me nerf guns and and bunch of Elders and I had a big nerf war in the rez! I already had two because my companion and I got a pass-along for being the compaionship that fights the most (which is not true at all, we have never argued or anything) and that pass-along was two nerf guns. So I am pretty much set to have a rockin time.

Friday was pretty chill. I was super tired though cause I went to bed at midnight. I was up writing in my journal. I don't care how late it is... I am always going to write in my journal. And I am so glad I have been keeping that goal. So yeah, I was super tired. I went to TALL lab and put the headphones on and turned on some church music from LDS.org and totally crashed on the desk. I was out! I played a couple soft games of basket ball at gym and ran some laps and then iced my ankle. I am getting better and better each day! It is crazy how the human body recovers. We had an awesome class with Sœur Cutler. We all decided that we were going to talk with a lisp. Don't ask me why... we just did. It was soooo funny!! Bonjour! Je thuis un mithionnaire! When we got back to the rez we played a game of russian roulette with the nerf guns... and I won! On Friday the Congo Elders were called to the travel office and once there the people told us that our departure date has been delayed because of visa issues. I guess the people in Cameroon thought that we were children and they wanted to know who our adult guide would be. So yeah, I had to fill out a couple more applications and they quickly sent those out. So now I am set to leave on September 5th. I got a sweet package from Tasha too with an awesome French CTR ring! Or should I say CLB ring.

Saturday was so good. I was really tired again cause I was up til midnight writing in my journal. Totally worth it though. We had gym at 6:30 in the morning. I went and did my physical therapy. There is a lot of scar tissue around my ankle to we tried rubbing it out and it hurt like heck. Class was awesome. Sœur Cutler showed us pictures from her mission and talked about it. Elder Prows (an Elder in my district from San Diego) and I have been getting really close. Him and I went into an empty room during personal study time and we talked about our lives. We were in there for 2hours. He is such a great guy and I really feel that we will be close friends for the rest of our lives. Well, at least I hope so.

Sunday was awesome, like always. Sacrament meeting was great and so was Priesthood, but the best part of the day was running into Anais Moody and her husband, Chad, at the temple on my temple walk! It may or may not have been planned :) But, none the less, it was so good to see them. We talked for a little bit and got some pictures, and then I had to go back to the MTC. I was so grateful for the opportunity to see them. All my friends were like "Dude, who were you talking to?!?!" They were kind of jealous cause Anais, as we all know, is very pretty. I was like "yeahhh, she used to babysit me." hahah it was great! She is an awesome friend. Her husband is awesome too. They are just an awesome couple and I love them. The devotional that we had was amazing. Stephen Allen spoke. He works here at the MTC. This was his second time speaking while I have been here. He is by far my favorite speaker. He is so funny and at the same time very powerful. He spoke about the Holy Ghost and obeying the rules... always. He shared an awesome scripture with us. It is so simple, but yet so powerful. It is 2 Nephi 33:15, and it is the last phrase... I must obey, amen. It says it all in those 4 words. I want that to be my life motto now.

Monday was fantastic. I cranked out some letters to you, Dallin, Darian, Aiden, and Ashlyn. (What the heck Caelan!! Why have I not received a letter from you yet! Aiden and Ashlyn have sent me more than you! I still love you though :) I was looking in my pictures I have of the family that we took right before I left and you look super pretty... just sayin. Horny boys are going to start jumping at you in school so be careful.) After personal study I went to the TALL lab and watched videos in the youth section of LDS.org. Some of those videos are so powerful. After TALL I went to gym and I got an ultrasound on my ankle. I must be super naive cause when she said I should get an ultrasound I was like "uhhhh, Je suis un homme..." but now I understand that it has multiple uses haha. After the ultrasound I did some test like sprinting and jumping and the nurse lady cleared me and said I could go back to normal activity! So that is exactly what I did! I went and immediately played basketball and I rocked it! I was on fire for some reason! I can almost jump as high as I used to! I was grabbing rim and stuff but I know that I could jump higher. On Monday I got that package from DJ... haha he is such a punk. I bet he was having a laughing fit as he was putting together that little "surprise" for me. He is awesome though. I have so much respect for him. For language study, I just read the French/English dictionary. It actually helps out so much. Monday night was the best though! I got 3 letters! One from Grandma, Oma & Opa, and Alex. I also got 6 pages of DearElders! Awww yeah! Mom, ask Alex about the JUST DO IT shirt. I think it is a funny story. I would type it out for you but I don't have much time. Alex is the best. When you here the story you will go "yup, you two are definitely best friends!"

So that was my week! It was very good! You are so lucky that I figured out how to beat the timer here on the email. I have been sending you some pretty legit emails. I love you so much and I am so grateful for all that you do. You are going to get a letter from me pretty soon, like tomorrow, and in that letter I mentioned some stuff about my Patriarchal blessing. What I said about it is so true. I love you and Dad so much. Thank you for being the best parents in the world. I love you :)

Avec amour,
Elder Schmid

No comments:

Post a Comment