Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Friday, August 5, 2011

Email from Dad

Elder Schmid-



Got a call from Pres. Harris, who said it was alright for me to send an email to you that you might be able to check for today.



Last night after the Ward Swim Party at Shepherd Pool, the family was driving home along Brown Rd. Caelan was driving, with Mom in the passenger seat, Dallin, Darian, Aiden & Ashlyn and friends Heidi & Heaton in the back. I was at home after coming home from work. As Caelan was driving through the intersection of Higley & Brown, another car in the eastbound left turn lane decided to turn left, right in front of Caelan, with no time to stop. The suburban hit the other car pretty much at 45 mph, and ended up on the west side of the intersection in the middle of Brown Rd in front of the Shell station. The other car was also knocked back towards the Shell station.



I got a call from Braden Arnett, who let me know what happened. I hopped in the truck & drove over. The road was blocked by a fire truck and a couple of ambulances by the time I got there (they got there pretty quick). Dallin was wandering around the car a little dazed, all doors were open, and Mom was on the passenger side at the middle door holding Ashlyn. Darian was already in an ambulance with a very deep laceration in her forehead. I checked with Mom, who was standing, and then checked with Caelan who was at the short screen wall in front of Shell. She was pretty shook up and was crying. Sis. Arnett and another lady were with her. Paramedics needed someone to ride in with Darian, so I went. We took the 202 to County Hospital at 24th & Van Buren. While en route, over the radio the driver heard the other ambulance was on its way as well, to the same location.



Darian was admitted to Trauma, and the second ambulance had Ashlyn & Mom. Ashlyn was checked into the Pediatrics ER, and they noticed Mom had a lot of bruises and was bleeding under her chin, so they checked her into the adult ER. She had a cut that they glued together. Ashlyn has some scrapes on her face, and a few bumps & bruises. An x-ray showed that there was a hairline fracture in her left femur, so they set a fiberglass splint until we get to an orthopedist to take a look at it. Mom & Ashlyn came home with Uncle Gunnar & Uncle Taco at 3:30 this morning, who came to help me with some blessings. Darian had a short orthopedic surgery at 6:00am to straighten her broken arm and set it in a cast. I stayed with her till 11:30, she is still at the hospital, I'm headed back over there in a little bit. Dr. Green & Dr. Thomas will be looking at Caelan, Dallin & Aiden this afternoon as a precaution.



Could have been a lot worse, the Lord was definitely on our side. Once again, another incident the night before a camping trip. Maybe we shouldn't be camping! Everyone is doing fine. Darian, who took the brunt of the accident, is doing fine. She's talking a lot, and is getting better every minute. Mom is very stiff & sore in a lot of joints. They did an ultrasound on the baby, everything is fine. Mom says the only place that doesn't hurt is in her stomach where the little baby is. Another tender mercy.



A lot of emails, Facebooks, and phone calls started flying, so I called the MTC and spoke to your District President's secretary. I wanted to make sure you heard from me first before someone else ran into you with another version of what happened.



Again, everyone is fine. Suburban is toast, Uncle Gunnar took a few photos & videos.



Next week I will give an update with all the follow up visits with doctors, etc. Right now I just want to get my family back home in their own beds sleeping peacefully.



So, in the last two months, everyone in the entire family was involved in a major incident, but we're all OK. That is no coincidence. I thank Heavenly Father for watching over us, even if it hurts a little bit.



I will send this via DearElder as well, so please bear with my duplication; I just want to make sure you heard from me.



Take care, no more basketball (or camping) for us.



I love you-



Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment