Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Monday, October 31, 2011

Hey Mom :)

I just want to start off by telling you how much I love you and how
grateful I am for your awesome emails. I am so happy for Kamas and
Brie! Kamas is such a stud. I was laughing so hard when I read your
little comment about DJ. I have so much respect for him. Even if he
sends me questionable gifts. I look up to him so much. He has been
on my mind a lot lately... and now I think I know why. I am so happy for
Dallin!! It sounds like he is doing great! I sent him a little letter
today along with my memory cards. I copied all of my photos over on
another memory card in case these get "misplaced" but I doubt they
will. It sounds like you have already seen a lot of pictures from the
Thompsons and Jamesons blog so you will probably be seeing the same
pictures a couple of times. I'm sorry I can't email that many
pictures home. I am to obstinate to take pictures with a lower quality
setting so it takes forever to load. But if this mailing thing works out
that will be great. There are two memory cards in this envelope. When you
send them back try sending one in a letter to me and send another
one in a package. I'm curious to see if the one in the envelope will get
to me. Ashlyn is such a cutie. I was smiling when you were telling
me her little award that she received. I love my family so much. I hope
you know that. Have you received my letter yet?

So, this next paragraph is going to be all over the place. I wrote down things I wanted to tell you on a little piece of paper so everything that I am about to tell you will go in no order at all. Sorry :) So, this week I saw a silver mini cooper! It was so random but cool! It got me excited for when I get home cause I will be getting opas :) Elder Lamb and I went to this mans house to teach him the first lesson and when we got to the door there was this lady changing a child's
diaper on her lap and we asked her if the man was there and she said
that he just left, and then she looked at me and said "vous êtes mignon." (You're so cute) I didn't really know what she said so I said "quoi?" and I looked at Elder Lamb and he just gave a little smile and said "merci, votre bébé est mignon aussi." (Thanks, you're baby is cute too) When he said that I realized what she said. If was nice to hear someone say that I was cute but it was
totally weird at the same time. One of our investigators, Jimmy, introduced us to one of his customers at his garage and his name is Francois. Francois is so legit! We sat down with him for 15 minutes and talked to him about our missionary purpose and why we are here in
Cameroon and we invited him to baptism on December 3rd and he said
that he will be baptized! He told us that he wanted to be with us...
to have what we have. He is so awesome. On Sunday, we had a lesson with
all of our amis (friends) about the spirit world, taught by one of the branch
missionaries, and then it somehow turned into a discussion about
baptisms for the dead. Well, at the end, Francois turned to me and
explained how that lesson was so incredible and how it was an answer
to his prayers. Evidently, he had a son that passed away and he was
always nervous for him and he told me that all of his questions are
now answered and that he didn't worry anymore. I saw true happiness
and it was so incredible. We had a rendez-vous with this ami named
Nadaje and it was a very powerful lesson and at the end we asked if we
could sing a cantique (hymn), and as she was looking for a cantique to sing I
felt inspired to ask her to sing Cantique 65 "Va, ne crais pas" (Be
Still My Soul) and so we did and at the very end I watched Nadeje sing
the very last line and she sat there and and looked at that sentence
and then just started crying. I would try to translate it for you but
I am to lazy to get out my little cantique book and do it... sorry. It
was such a sweet moment and I know without a doubt that the Lord
inspired me to request that song. So, I was in a rendez-vous with Jimmy
and in the middle of the lesson he looked at my sandal and pointed out
that it was ripped so he told one of his employees to come over and he
took off my sandal and went and got it fixed and brought it back in
like 10 minutes. He didn't make me pay for it or anything. Jimmy is so
awesome. He is getting baptized on Saturday. He was the captain on
Cameroons rugby team. He is such a beast. His arm is like the size of
my neck...maybe even bigger. He could tear me apart if he wanted. He
is such a gentle giant. It is so incredible to see the change in his
life that has come because of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I was
walking to a rendez-vous with Elder Lamb one night and these two girls
ran up to us and started walking with us. One of the girls was one of
the people that we were going to go teach and she was with here
friend. Well, her friend told me that her name was Natascha and I was
like "hey, that's my aunts name!" and I showed her a picture that I
have in my photobook of Tasha and I, and then she got really weird
after that. She started "brushing up" against me and tried to hold my
hand. It was super awkward. I started walking with my hands on my
backpack straps or on my head. So, here in Africa we have a problem...
We ask people to pray to know if what we are telling them is true and
they look at us and say, "I already know it is true! I don't need to
pray!" We have a hard time explaining to them why they really need to
pray. It is so cool to sit back and think about that problem. That is
such a cool problem to have! People here are so faithful. One
morning one of our amis called us and told us that they couldn't see
us so we spent 45 minutes calling around trying to fill that open slot
up but everyone was busy. We eventually gave up and just said, "God
will provide" and left it at that. Well, God definitely provided. We
went to Jimmy's garage to teach Jimmy but he wasn't there, but Francois
was, so, we decided to teach him and we had an incredible lesson with him.
His progression is on fire! By the way this man is progressing, he will
be a branch president in just a couple of weeks! So, one day I was
walking by this gas station and this little beggar kid came up to me
and started holding my hand and he held out his free hand in a cupping
shape begging for money. Well, it is against the rules as missionaries
to give money, so I told him no and kept on walking. He ran up to
me again and latched onto my legs and wouldn't let go, so I picked him
up and set him down and forcefully said no and ran across a busy
street with Elder Lamb to get a taxi. All the "tough" moto guys were
all giving me crap for not giving him money, but hey I can't break the
rules! Well, the next morning I was at Mosiah 4 in my personal study
and that chapter is all about giving to the poor and needy. I felt
like crap after reading that... Benjamin chastized me a little bit. I
mentally changed vs 24 to "I give not because I can not, but if I
could I would." That made me feel a little bit better. Hey, remember
when I was little you would comb my hair all nice and tell me how GQ I
look?? Well, I am sporting that look again :) I don't know why... I
just am. I am not cutting my hair until Christmas so it is going to
get nice and long. It is actually pretty long right now. So this lady
fed me one day and she kept on loading all these noodles onto my plate
and I easily had like 7 servings on my plate and when she finished
putting all that food on my plate I said under my breath "holy cow"
and right when I said that she looked at me and said "my last baby
could eat all of that!" If that is true, than her baby is a monster
cause that was so much food.

Well, that was all I wanted to tell you. Sorry it was so scattered. I
can't believe that it has been 11 years since Grandpa has passed away.
He may physically be gone but spiritually he is with me every day. I
have felt his presence so much. He is helping me so much out here :)

I want you to send me a lot of pictures and a MEAD 5 star notebook
with 8.5x11 paper. I need more letter paper and the paper here
sucks. If you are ever curious with what to send, send me ties. Also, Don't
worry about Christmas and my birthday. Just put money or something in
my account so I will have a little for when I get home so I can have
some for school and what not.

My ankle is still swollen and it pops every time I move it a certain
way. Is that alright? It doesn't hurt at all.

Well, I hope all is well. I love you so much. Thanks for being so
great. I pray for you and the family every day. I love you mom :)

Avec amour,
Elder Schmid

No comments:

Post a Comment