Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Monday, October 3, 2011

Yaounde 10/3/11

So I have no time to read what you put in this email and there is so much I want to tell you so I have just been taking pictures of everybody's emails and I will read them tonight when I am back at the apartment.

So...TEMPLE COMING TO KINSHASA!!! I am so excited for those people!! That actually doesn't affect anyone here in Cameroon. It will be cheaper for them to go the the temple in Nigeria... the only problem there is that it is an English temple. But none the less, I am so stoked! Everyone started screaming when they announced it! I actually missed the announcement. Elder Lamb and I were at this families house. We had just baptized the Mom and two sons and they invited us over for some food and we felt like we should be there, so we went.

So, this past week it seems like every woman has decided to expose themselves and feed their kids. Up until this week I was fortunate enough to have not been around that... then BAM!! It hit... It is so disgusting... and awkward... and weird... It was weird when I was around ladies in the states and they had a blanket over them. Over here they just pull down their shirt and let it hang.

There was also one day where Elder Lamb and I got in a taxi and it was just us and then, one by one, people kept on getting in until there were 9 of us stuffed into this little taxi. It was so cramped! I took a little picture. I'll see if I can send it home when I get the next opportunity.

Alright, so we had four baptisms this week! We baptized this man named Yves and this Mother (Soeur Kemlé) and her two children, Junior and Prince. It was so awesome! I was able to baptize Yves and Soeur Kemlé. I wasn't originally planning on baptizing her until the day of, when she came to me and said that I was going to baptize her. She then went on to tell me about a dream she had had about a year ago of her baptism and she said that I was the one baptizing her. Cool huh?! She is a very large lady... So I was kind nervous about the baptism. I didn't want to look like a fool. The Lord definitely helped me out though. I guess she is super scared of water. The first time I went to dunk her she shot right out of the water before her head went under... so then I did it again and she shot out again... so on the third time I totally shoved her under water because my arms were getting tired. It worked! She shot right out again but it was after she was completely immersed! Oh, and her full name has like 6 names... it was ridiculous. So that was my interesting baptism. Yves went down with out a hitch which was nice.

I finished reading "Our Search for Happiness" this week in personal study and after reading that I am so much more grateful for the power of the priesthood. Looking back in life, some of my happiest moments have been with the family. I am so grateful that we are all sealed together for all time and eternity. I really wish I could say more but I am so rushed with this email... one hour isn't enough for me. I have started reading "Jesus the Christ". I read the first page and that man made me feel like I don't know English. He uses very big words... haha. I love it though. I love the doctrines that he talks about and the detail he goes into.

So after the Kemlé's baptisms they invited us over to their house for some dinner. We felt like we needed to be there so we decided to go, even though we knew that we would miss the beginning of Conference. Well, I was very lucky cause they served........ fish. Whole fish. With the eyeballs. I ate it though... but it was hard. They have this super super super spicy stuff here called Pima and she put a huge spoon full on my plate (this stuff is spicier than sambal). I picked up a fried plantain off of my plate and checked it to make sure there wasn't that much pima on it and I shoved it in my mouth. Well, stupid me forgot to check the bottom. The whole bottom was covered in pima. Like enough pima for 3 people... and I ate it in one bite. After that bite I was done with dinner. It felt like my mouth was literally on fire... and they didn't have any water. So it was pretty bad. But, I just want you to know that I haven't refused any food here. I have eaten everything. Be proud :)

I just want you to know that I love you so much and I am so grateful for all that you do and for all your prayers. I really need them, and I have really been noticing answers to my prayers and yours. I hope all is well. I can't wait to read this whole email tonight!

Je t'aime,
Elder Schmid

PS - so I was scrolling down the email and I saw that you were saying something about Grandpa. I haven't read what you wrote but I just want you to know that I have been listening to "Onward Christian Soldiers" every single night and every time that song comes on I stop what I am doing and close my eyes and listen... and every time I do I can honestly feel Grandpas presence and a feeling that he is proud of me. There are some nights where I honestly believe that he is there with his hands on my shoulders. It is so incredible. I KNOW that he has helped me out so much out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment