Bringing the Gospel to Yaounde, Cameroon

Monday, October 17, 2011

Yaounde 10/17/11

Hi Mom :)

This past week was so incredible! We had an awesome rendez-vous and
everything! We also had 3 baptisms! I haven't even been here a month
and a half and I already have 9 baptisms. The work here is so crazy. I
will probably never have the chance to go out and actually knock
doors. My entire day, besides morning studies, consists of lesson after
lesson. The only time we have to talk to people, who are not our
investigators, is when they call us over when we are walking down the
street. Many of them just say "Hey! I want you to preach to me!" So we
do... and we give them a Restoration brochure and bear our
testimonies. It is so incredible how much work there is here and how
busy we are. I am loving every single minute of it.

Something really special happened for me on Saturday. So, remember from
my first email when I told you about my very first baptismal
invitation? It was on my very first day that I worked... I believe it
was 9.08.2011. Well anywho, the young man who I extended the
invitation to is named Franky. Well, when I invited him to be baptized
he basically said "yes, this is something I have been waiting for my
whole life." So, I was just blown away... because that was my first day!
Well, we found out that he wasn't in our area... like 100 yards into
another sector, so we had to hand him over and we weren't able to
teach him. Well, he was baptized on Saturday and he asked me to
baptize him! It was so awesome! Right as he got out of his interviews
he came to me and said "Because I was the first person you invited to
baptism, I want you to baptize me." I was so touched that he
recognized that. He knew how much it meant to me. I am so blessed that
I had the opportunity to baptize him. It was incredible.

So, this weekend we had a surprise trip from the Jamesons! They came
Thursday night and they stayed until today! It was so awesome! We had a
zone conference at the Thompsons on Friday morning and it was great.
We went over this new program that all the new missionaries around the
world are using. We all have portable DVD players and we watch
training materials. We discussed how it was helping the companionships
with the work. I love it so much. We had tuna fish sandwiches with
cheese for lunch... and guess what? I ate it! My stomach is definitely
adjusting. The other day I was craving fish... that was a little
weird. That is something that has never occured in my life. So anywho,
the Jamesons... so yeah, they were here and Sister Jameson was able to
come to the baptism. We had 7 people baptized out of our zone on
Saturday. The next day we confirmed them in church and I confirmed
this young man we baptized whose name is Aimé. I was scared out of my
mind. I felt like my heart was going to beat right out of my chest and
land on his head as I was performing the ordinance. The Lord really
helped me out though with the French. I was actually really surprised
with how I did. The Lord has really blessed me this past week
with the language. I walked up to this man the other day and started
to have a strait up legit conversation about the spirit... and it was
all in French and I was basically understanding almost everything he
was saying! It was so incredible. President and Sister Jameson came up
to me after sacrament meeting and told me how impressed they were with
my French and they couldn't believe that that was my first
confirmation in French. It was all the Lord. This morning, President
came to our apartment to do interviews... I don't think our apartment
has ever gotten so clean so fast. I have so much respect for President
Jameson. He is such a spiritual giant.

Alright, so I am going to try my best to answer all of your questions.
Sorry this email is so scattered... I get so stressed when I email
cause I have such little time and I have so much to tell you. I have
received both of Natascha's packages. The first one only cost me 1000
cfa and the second one didn't cost me anything. Elder Prince, who
lives in my apartment, has received 3 of those flat rate boxes that
you would send and 3 of those boxes cost him 18,000. So those
envelopes are the way to go. You can send me a lot :) I get mail
whenever the couple in Douala sends the packages and mail in a bus up
to Yaoundé or if they travel up here. So I have been lucky lately
because they sent a box, and then the Jamesons brought up a box with
them when they came. Yes, people just never smile when they are in
pictures. I don't know why... Yes, I have used my debit card here.
Only one though and that was when I went to the bank last Monday to
take out some money. I took out 40,000 cfa. I don't want to go to the
bank all the time because it is out of the way, so I pulled it out and I
keep it in my suitcase at the apartment. And about the stuff I want in
packages. Just send me whatever. I will eat anything... any kind of
food that is from America is better than anything I can buy here.

Well, I hope all is well. I am very excited for the baby! I can't
believe that you will be having the baby so soon! Holy cow! I really
hope you have it before Christmas so I can see him when I skype you. I
think I will be able to skype... I still have over two months to
figure that one out. Have you thought of any names? Well, time is up.
I pray for you every day. I hope every one is doing well. I love you
Mom :)

Avec amour,
Elder Schmid

No comments:

Post a Comment